Call for web content writer/ consultant
Terms of Reference
CIVICUS is a global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to defending and strengthening citizen action and civic space around the world. We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have more than 4000 members in more than 175 countries throughout the world. We work for civil society, protecting and growing `civic space’, by which we mean: the freedoms of expression, association and assembly – the fundamental freedoms on which rest peoples’, citizens’ and organisations’ right to speak out, organise and take action.
In mid-2017, CIVICUS’ launched new strategic priorities to set the objectives and focus of the CIVICUS alliance for 2017-2022. CIVICUS is seeking a consultant to
- review and update the CIVICUS website structure, content, and text to ensure it is in line with the new priorities;
- review, write, edit content to update information related to projects, programmes and initiatives, and ensure our range of work is adequately communicated.
- Provide guidance on writing text that is SEO friendly and engaging for readers.
Scope and Goal
We are looking for a writer/ consultant to create and edit inspiring content about our work – focusing on citizen action and civic space – that ensures consistency of tone within and across the website. This will include:
- Review of web content and produce short inception plan – as a first step the consultant will work with the CIVICUS communications manager to review the CIVICUS website content, and provide a roadmap of what needs to be done to align the content and structure with CIVICUS strategic priorities, as we well as communicate the wide range of CIVICUS work in a lively and engaging way.
- Writing/ editing content – In collaboration with the CIVICUS comms team and staff, the consultant will drive the process to draft/ edit/ copy edit (as required) new and existing texts. This will include reviewing ‘who we are’ and ‘what we do texts’ to ensure alignment with the new strategic priorities, updating out of date text about projects/ programmes, and drafting new content. The consultant will be required to liaise with programme staff (who can provide draft texts and source documents) to develop content, based on an agreed plan developed with the communications manager. The consultant will also work in alignment to the CIVICUS editorial guidelines, and in collaboration with the webmaster to ensure look and feel consistency.
- Produce short guidelines – Based on the above process, the consultant will produce brief guidelines (max 3 pages) for staff on writing good web content.
We estimate the consultancy will take 20 days, to be performed over a 90-day period. Extensions by mutual agreement.
- Familiarity and experience creating content around civil society, civic space, human rights.
- Able to write in a way that can communicate research and complex concepts in a lively and engaging way.
- Familiarity with writing for web principles, including SEO.
- Ability to work with programme staff, to translate their ideas, texts and knowledge into web friendly content.
Proposals should include:
- Brief outline of approach and vision for the assignment, including a timeline (1-2 pages max)
- Budget/ cost estimate including all costs (please include a daily rate).
- CV and samples of similar assignments
Send your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org before 7 February 2018. You may also contact us at that same email address for any question or query.1